It's that time of year again! The Holidays are right around the corner. Many of us are being bombarded with school and scouting fundraisers. We are strapped for both time and money. Yet we are called to give. Not just to the little girl or boy down the street selling cookie dough for the PTA.
We are called to the works of Mercy. Feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless, visit the sick, visit those in prison and bury the dead.
Here are just a few suggestions for you and your family:
1. Invite a family who is struggling financially to dinner at your house.
2. Contact your local soup kitchen and volunteer one day or evening to serve.
3. Buy one bag of groceries just for the food bank at your next grocery run.
4. Go through your clothing and donate to the local women's/men's shelter.
5. Have a baby shower and donate the items to your local pregnancy care center.
6. Go through your blankets, find some warm ones and donate them to a local shelter.
7. Donate funds to your local shelter.
8. Find out about and get involved with a Habitat for Humanity build.
9. Take a day to visit a nursing home and spend time with the residents.
10. Ask at your local hospital how you can volunteer to visit those who are in long term care. Especially children's wards.
11. Call your friend or neighbor who you know has been ill or had surgery recently. Ask them how they are doing and if they need anything.
12. Donate books or religious items to your local prison.
13. Ask your local jail or prison about visitation and bring holy cards, donated bibles and books to distribute on visiting day.
14. Visit a cemetery and pray for those who have recently passed away.
15. Pray for the souls in purgatory.
16. If someone in your community has passed away visit their family and ask if they need anything? Offer your support.
These are just a few things you can do this season to give from your heart according to the works of mercy. May God richly bless you this season and may that blessing flow out from you to those around you.
my kids so kindly reminded me of the following 3 things we can do when we can't do any of the things on the above list:
1. go to Daily Mass and offer it for all those who can do those listed things and for those who cannot.
2. attend Adoration and again, pray for those in need and those who serve the needy.
3. Pray the Rosary.